In terms of the Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI) adopted, the 35IGC Legacy Fund NPC is a Non-Profit Company without members, with the following objects:
“To utilise surplus funds received for the 35th International Geological Congress or returns generated from the investment of such funds or future donations to the Company for the benefit, promotion and/or advancement of the general geosciences, geoscience students and/or professionals, or other geoscience stakeholders as may be identified from time to time by the Directors of the Company, within their sole and absolute discretion.”
The fund mandate aims at assisting earth science research, development, and innovation, through direct or indirect project or individual funding. The fund mandate is not overly prescriptive to allow flexibility in coming years or decades to serve the geo-science and the geo-science community. The 35IGC Legacy Fund may solicit additional financial support from other agencies. One of the main aims would be to promote legacy projects in line with the scope of the 35th IGC, including support to students to attend local or international congresses and conferences.
To implement its mandate, the 35IGC Legacy Fund shall financially assist:
- Selected earth science research, development and innovation (RDI) projects in the broad sphere of geo-science disciplines.
- Student attendance of local and international geo-science conferences, and in particular the International Geological Congresses.
- Geoheritage projects developed because of 35th International Geological Congress.
- Publication of fieldtrip guidebooks, textbooks or other materials that will assist in the communication to, and education of, society about geoscience matters.
- Geotourism initiatives preferably in partnership with government and local tourism agencies
Types of support include but are not limited to:
- Direct and indirect RDI costs, including analytical costs,
- Fieldwork support,
- Conference attendance (travel, subsistence, and registration),
- Geo-heritage and geo-tourism initiatives,
- Publication charges, including thesis and dissertation costs,
- Sponsorship for geo-science seminars, workshops and conferences.